Sunday, November 04, 2007

God's Work



What is God's work? And whose responsiblity is it to get it done? How much of it rests on our shoulders? How much belongs to the work of the Holy Spirit? To what extent can we help or hinder the work of God? I've been thinking a lot about these questions as our two week evangelistic effort (now stretched--sort of--into a third week) begins to draw to a close.

I've always been ambivalent about evangelistic series and if I'm being honest, this recent and rather successful one that our church held in the village of Kagman was no exception. There are a number of reasons why these events--the Revelation Seminar, Prophecy Unlimited, and all the other various names they go by--rub me the wrong way. Some reasons are merely stylistic. There's something almost anachronistic about them. Everything about the evangelistic series from the style of presentation to the music , where a "modern" song is one written 30 or maybe 25 years ago, seems to presume a common language that many in modern society no longer speak. The programs often seem out of step with our culture. And I'm sure for many of those enthusiastic about evangelism, that's a good thing. While I would tend to disagree with that conclusion, I will concede that God does not a need the "cool factor" which is so vitally important to me to do His work. And indeed, the only thing more laughable than a quaintly old-fashioned evangelistic series is a hyper-modern, trying-too-hard-to be cool attempt to ingratiate ourselves with whatever's hip right now.

But there are other reasons beyond fashion sense, that I am uncomfortable with public evangelism. One of the biggest reasons is that I don't like to see sales techniques used in evangelism. Now I admit I'm biased against sales in general--I hate having to sell anything. But I do understand the place of sales in our capitalist society. Selling vaccuums and vehicles, I'm okay with. Selling the gospel, or even using the methods of sales, not so much. I also don't like to see fear tactics used. In general, I don't think fear should be used as "tactic" ever. If there is real and imminent danger, then fear is not "used"--it is just the reality of that moment. If the house is burning down, screaming at some one to get out now is not a "tactic" (and I should probably add that the person who doesn't panic is more likely to get out of the burning building).

Unfortunately, I saw both sales techniques and fear tactics used at times during our evangelistic efforts. I don't knock the good intentions or sincerity of heart of those that used them, but I still disagree with them. I understand why evangelists use them. At least in the case of fear, they may actually believe the urgency. Especially Christians who believe in an eternally burning lake of fire (we Adventists don't), will obviously be strongly motivated by fear. And even many Adventist preachers really do believe that the "windows of mercy" may close at any moment. I realize that a starting place for dialogue among Christians over the place of fearful warnings in preaching really begins with deciding the level of urgency. If I believe the threat level is at "yellow" and you believe it's at "red" we're obviously going to disagree as to what needs to happen next. I'm glad to say though, that as far as I know, fear was not a central theme of our meetings. Hope, for this life and the life to come was the emphasis. Still at times the ominous tone would creep in, particularly when it came time to make an appeal, to lean on the audience for a decision.

Which brings me to the issue of sales. "Get a decision every night. Start with the easy ones--yes, I want to learn more--and work your way up to the big ones--yes, I want to be baptized." "Make sure the choir's singing during the appeal." I don't know how intentional all of this is, but intentional or not, it's clearly manipulative. And again, I understand why evangelists use these techniques. Like fear, they work. At least in the short term and on the surface of things. You can get someone to come on down to the altar by getting the choir crooning in the background, and pushing the hard sell--"Now is the time, don't put if off, today if you hear His voice harden not your heart, tomorrow is not promised to you." Understand I'm not here to argue that anyone should put off making a decision for the Lord or that tomorrow is promised--but tell me this: What happens to that person who came to the altar in a thrill of fear and emotion when tomorrow does come and the rush subsides?

This raises the larger question of how God's work is actually done. What really motivates someone to give their heart to the Lord, to come forward, to be baptized? I told a friend and fellow church member about the remarkable 22 baptisms that we had this past Sabbath, and she broke into a sponataneous joyful grin, but then skepticism shaded that grin and her first words were a question: "Was it real?" She clearly wondered whether some folks hadn't been "hustled" into the church. My answer to her, was "Yes, I believe it was." I realize I can't really know that for sure. None of us can know what is truly motivating the heart of another person. But I do believe that God touched the hearts of these people in a real and precious way, and they responded.

What I've learned is that God does His own work. He operates above and byeond our various schemes and machinations. Yes, sometimes he works through us, but just as often He works in spite of us. I saw that over and over in Kagman. God worked in spite of our disorganzation, in spite of our petty frustrations over who and how and what would be in the program, in spite of my cynicsim, in spite of the frailty of the physically and mentally exhausted volunteers, and in spite of the hard sells and spiritual theatrics. God really is "in the business of changing lives" as my pastor loves to say. And God really doesn't need His children to get His business done. We really are kids, after all. Kids who God lets be involved in His great work. He lets us play a little part because it's good for us and because He wants to share the passion of His heart with us. We are the four year olds helping Daddy fix the car. We get to hold the tools, run and fetch this or that, maybe turn the wrench a few times--and often as not we manage to muck up even those simple tasks. And when we get tired and whiny, as kids do, Dad doesn't frown at us and say, "Well, junior, how am I going to get this car fixed now?"

Somewhere along the way we developed this idea that it's all about us. We must preach and we must pray and we must convert. It all falls on our shoulders--the eternal fate of millions--the salvation of the world--depends on us. What a thought! How gratifiying to think that we are that absolutely vital. The cross is powerless without. . .Me. What a classically human and basically self-centered conclusion to draw. But it's not about us. We cannot save the world. Only One can and He already did it. We forget that this is God's business. He who could cause the very rocks to cry out if need be, does not need our sales plan to hustle His love to the masses. I think of a woman I know who found God in a hotel room in Guam, alone with nothing but a Bible someone gave have her. There was no choir, no pleading preacher, no conducive atmosphere. Just some mundane hotel furniture, the droning hum of the air conditioner, and the loving presence of the Spirit of God. There was nothing else to "motivate" this woman other than the pure presence and kindess of the living God.

So is there nothing left for us to do? Might we just as well head off to play with our toys while God does the work He could do better on His own? No. I'm not advocating a ban on evangelistic series or other mission activity. While we cannot do more than provide our childish help to God's Big Work (and I do believe God wants us do that), there are tasks that God has given us, that are exclusively ours.

First, we can tell our stories. That's really what it means to be a witness--to tell what I've seen and heard, what I've experienced. God can't tell the story of what He's done in our lives for us. We have to tell it. (And let's be honest, many Christians, ironically especially those who have been Christians their whole lives, don't know what He's done in their lives). And telling isn't restricted to talking. We can--and do--live our stories, letting our lives be testament not of our goodness, but of His. We can stop pretending. The world cries for people who are real and authentic, genuine and transparent, and often believers are the fakest ones of all.

The second thing we are tasked with is to love. And here's the hard truth. "Love is not the easy thing." By and large, Christians like me who are turned off by all the old-school pulpit thumping and soul-winning--we find it easy to talk about love. "We just need to love people." "We just need to reach out and be kind and be done with this business of trying to convert." "We just need to show God's love." Sounds good, right? And it is good, except for one thing.

We don't actually do it.

If we're brutally honest, we postmodern Christians have pretty much dropped the ball too. We don't love. We don't care. Just what look what happens at Sabbath potluck. The new family sits alone in their corner. The new member talks to the Pastor--and that's about it. And where are all the people who talk about love? Huddled up at their own table, talking to the people they're comfortable with--the people who share their language, culture, and interests. It's so much easier than making the admittedly awkward effort to make someone else feel at home. And I'll admit, I'm chief of sinners in this regard. The pathetically few times I've actually made an effort to take an interest in someone besides my little "cool clique" I've done so grudgingly, harangued by my wife or by the quiet insistent voice of God. We complain that our church is cold, unfriendly, unwelcoming. Well whose fault is that?

The sad truth is that a key task that we do have to do, a task God can't do for us, many of us--fire-breathing evangelist and chilled out contemporary Christian alike--fail to do. We fail to love. I think we fail because love is both something that can't be manufactured--thus it can't truly be faked--and something that is rooted in action more than feeling. Love is a decision, and too often we're waiting around until we "feel like it" to reach out in love. The solution to our lovelessness is twofold--to ask God to fill us with His love--to bring our love to life, and then to reach out in love, regardless of how we feel at the moment. One might argue that Truth brings people into the church, but it is Love that keeps them there. And the interesting thing is that love is not necessarily dependant on a certain theological outlook. I've known people with most repellant theology that just shine, irresistble heartwarming love. And I've known people with the most beautiful theology imaginable who can't be bothered to learn your name. And I've also seen the reverse. In all cases, love trumps all.

It's God's work to convict, to convert, and to save. We tread on dangerous ground when we start trying to do His work for Him. Our work is to love--a work given to all human beings regardless of their beliefs--and we are deeply remiss and do Him a great disservice, if we leave that work to God.

By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.


John 13:35








6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was an especially beautiful entry Sean. :-)

It's not my place to comment on whether and when and how to evangelize. I did love what you said, though, about not overestimating our own power to redeem the world, and also about love being 'rooted in action more than feeling'. A partnership with God through faith is something to rejoice in, but how to bear witness to the transformative power of that love in the world is largely (and often frustratingly) left up to us. For me, the grounding and 'limbering' an observant life supplies is an invaluable starting point--ultimately much of the form itself is arbitrary, but the results of committing oneself to it with gratitude and humility are not; celebration through obligation can transform us, even as we work to transform others and the world. On the one hand, obligations are always going to be sometimes unpleasant; on the other hand, you can't realize and discover real purpose in life without them--wait to feel flush with purpose before nudging yourself into them, and you'll be waiting a very long time.

Community through faith is, to me, another essential anchor...and looking at the pictures and stories from your recent experiences, it certainly looks like you've been abundantly blessed with that.

Peace and take care,
~ y.

1:27 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

Thanks, Yolland, for taking the time to read, and comment so thoughtfully. It means a lot.

3:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I feel like you literally peeked inside of my head this one. You've said everything I've been feeling and trying to articulate to those around me lately. I can't tell you how many arguments I've gotten into lately when I've brought up the "hipping up Jesus" mentality that's so common in churches today. We try so hard to make Jesus cool that He and we end up becoming hollow. There's nothing there but a bunch of people trying too hard to make Jesus everyone's "homeboy", if you will. When you talked about the sales techniques, I almost jumped out of my chair, excited. I am that lame. I go to one of those megachurches (about 5000 members, I've gone there for 7 years.) I really no longer like attending there and disagree with much of the philosophy, but I'm hardpressed to find a real grace-based loving church around here. My friends Aura and Doris, who have been feeling the same way I do lately, usually end up sitting in the back of the balcony now and whispering about our struggles and new beliefs and how we feel outcasted from our other friends there. We're all right around the same age (19). Anyway, when we were talking yesterday Aura said something that has stuck in my mind ever since: She said, "Pastor Ben runs this like a business, not a church." She's right. Our church (and the popular face of church all over at the moment) have turned our churches into businesses, trying to make them profitable, putting gyms, bookstores, etc. on the grounds. I can't tell you how many times I my pastor use business terms to talk about the church. It makes me extremely sad and disillusioned. It's so far from what God wants us to do as a community of Believers. The fear tactics are something else that stuck out. My church doesn't do that so much as to get people saved, thank God. However, we do use it to keep them there. For example, the past few weeks our pastor and his wife have been "team teaching". Last week, they spoke and showed a video roll-in, featuring members of the church, that freaked us all about the dangers of Harry Potter. Ouija boards, etc. I'm not a fan of Harry Potter is simply a style of books I don't enjoy, and while Ouija Boards are not something I would suggest buying your kids for Christmas, the tactic of the devil will enter your home and terrorize your family if you bring these things in it just hurts me. I don't even have any of these things in my house, but it hurt me to think people who are now bringing anything they deem "occultic" to our church to be put in 60 gallon drums and thrown away (yes, our church is seriously doing that right now)thing they're pleasing God and living right. From my experience, things like this just lead to self-righetousness and paranoia about the "godliness" of anything that doesn't come from the Christian Book Store. It's so far from the Gospel. I agree with the point of thinking God needs us to evangelize. In my youth group in high school, I was told that by showing how moral and "different" I was, I could "win my school to Jesus." My pastor costantly exhorts us to "bring people to church", "invite them to this hip-up Jesus outreach," etc. However, I've noticed myself getting into this trend lately, thinking I have tell everyone how the church needs to change, and how we're missing the point. It's important to have that dialogue, but only God can change hearts. As you said, we can show Jesus to others, but that's usally by living a life of love. When I hear the morals police preachers getting on TV (or in my church's pulpit) preaching about how the world will be saved through our great morality, I want to scream. I don't recall Jesus saying, "This is how they will know you're my disciples, you'll try and prevent rights for homosexuals." I don't recall him saying "This is how they'll know you're my disciples, if you never drink a drop of alcohol, and never have sex until you're married." All of that is wonderful, but it doesn't show Jesus to a world that is thirsting for love and grace. Love is how we show the world we belong to Jesus, the kind of love Paul writes about so beautifully in 1 Corinthians 13. It's unconditional. It accepts people right where they're at, and doesn't withold itself until they conform to our pious, human standards. If we're serious about evangelizing, living lives of love, in quiet opposition to the culture of winning and performance is the only route we can take. I fear for the future of the church if we keeping going in the direction we're heading. Thanks for writing this sean! It really helped me get some stuff off my chest.

5:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And ignore my typos and run-on sentences. I was in a rush!

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

such insightful stuff, Sean! Once again, I agree with you.

About the evangelizing sermons, I can see your point. Appeal to emotion is not the strongest foundation, but even then, I believe that God still reaches people.

Personally, I wish that evangelistic meetings would dwell more on making Jesus real. The reality of His existence, the fact that God Himself came to live among us for a while, lived as a man called Jesus, will cause everything else to fall into place. As Jesus said, "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father." And "I, if I be lifted up, will draw all men unto Me." er." So lift Him up! Without fear of mockery, without shame. That is the safest place to evangelize anybody into -- into Jesus' arms. Like the song says: Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace."

For me, I've given up trying to DO. Instead I've surrendered to God and trust that whenever the need to DO arises, that I will be in a place of natural yielding to the Spirit's promptings, at which point I will then DO, easily and willingly, not with dragging feet, and certainly not legalistically in order to save my soul, but out of love for God.

Life is so much easier now that I've stopped "working," and simply surrender daily. (The surrender, actually, is the hard part, and ...therein lies our work.)

Well, keep on thinking for yourself, son, and keep looking up; our God is still the same today.....

5:22 PM  
Blogger Secret Gardener said...

Sean,

As I began reading your blog, I thought to myself, "yes, exactly, that's what I thought." It was the kind of self-approval that I hate, but so often participate in. Yet, as I continued on, I realized that though God has been trying to push me beyond the discrepancies I found at Kagman, to the truth beyond, I've been stuck at the, "I really disagreed with that," stage.

I feel so small, so mislead, and so arrogant. Even though I've said that a lot, inside I've continued to believe that I have it right. My excuse has been, since I can't do anything about it, I'll just sit on my butt and complain.

God may have worked in spite of others in the last few weeks, but without a doubt he worked in spite of me. He worked regardless of my laziness, negativity, criticisms. He worked around me, when love seemed impossible. Where was I to smile, to sing, to pray, to love? I dropped the ball, but God made up for it. This post was written for me, perhaps for other too, but definitely for my eyes. It's exactly what I've been needing to apprehend, but haven't allowed myself to do so. It needed to be spoken directly.

This should be an answer to your questions as to whether this post was "too much," or whatever you were wondering about. I believe with any less said, it couldn't have impacted me with such depth. God spoke.

Thank you for being the instrument. I will read and reread this; many beautiful and insightful thoughts, it is truly altering and excellent.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home